DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS – JANUARY 17, 2014
David R. Davidson Composition Contest
Handbell Musicians of America announces the third David R. Davidson Composition Contest. The David R. Davidson Composition Fund was created in October 2009, to encourage the composition of original works for advanced handbell ensembles. Works selected for awards from this fund will illustrate the high musical standards embodied by Maestro David Davidson.
2010 – The Stars Await by Ron Mallory
2011 – Black Belling by Anthony Chapman
Please review ALL guidelines carefully an thoroughly before sending your submission. Any failure to follow theses guidelines EXACTLY as listed below may result in immediate disqualification of your entry.
- Works submitted must be original compositions written for a full handbell choir.
- Compositions may be written for 3-7 octaves or 5-7 octaves.
- Composition may include additional, optional instruments.
- Preference will be given to works submitted by young and/or new composers.
- Entries must be sent to Jennifer Cauhorn, Handbell Musicians of America executive director, via e-mail to [email protected] no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on January 17, 2014.
- Entries must include the following (please send each item below as a separate file attachment to the e-mail – so there will be four attachments included with your entry e-mail):
- The subject line of the e-mail must contain “David Davidson Composition Contest”
- A PDF of the composition score – the score must NOT include the composer’s name
- An mp3 audio version of the composition
- An anonymous resume for the composer including the following information
- Birth date including year
- A summary of previous compositions and the genre/instrument for which they were written
- A summary of published compositions and the genre/instrument for which they were written
- A brief description of musical & composition training and education
- Composer contact information including full name, e-mail address, mailing address, and day time phone number.
- The winning composition will be announced by April 1, 2014. The committee reserves the right to select no winner if no qualified entries are received.
- The composer of the winning composition will receive a cash prize of $1,500 and travel expenses to the premiere performance of the piece.
- The winning composition will be published by AGEHR Publishing.
- The winning composition will be premiered at Distinctly Bronze East in October, 2014.
Any questions regarding this contest or the submission guidelines should be directed to executive director, Jennifer Cauhorn, at [email protected]