Throughout the year, you’ll find both live and virtual events for musicians and handbell enthusiasts of all ages and skill levels.
- National Seminar 2020 – July 16-20, Orlando, Florida (note, this is a different day-pattern than usual – the dates are correct)
- National Seminar 2021 – July 13-17, Phoenix, Arizona
- International Symposium & Associated Events 2022 – July 30-August 6, Nashville, Tennessee
Details will be available in January 2020.
DISTINCTLY BRONZE is our premier performance event for advanced handbell musicians. Held twice a year, once on the east coast and once on the west, musicians are assigned a part to work on ahead of time, then spend four days with a seasoned conductor to prepare advanced literature for a public performance.
- Distinctly Bronze East 2020 with Stephanie Rhoades – February 27-March 1, New Bern, North Carolina
- Distinctly Bronze West 2020 with David Weck – November 5-8, Portland, Oregon – registration opens March 4, 2020
REACHING FOR BRONZE is a training event that helps intermediate ringers advance their skills to the advanced bronze level. This companion to Distinctly Bronze East will give participants the opportunity to ring DB repertoire and perform with the DB choirs on their final concert. The event schedule includes time for rehearsals and skill-building workshop sessions.
- Reaching for Bronze 2020 with Monica McGowan – February 28-March 1, New Bern, North Carolina
DISTINCTLY TEEN is designed for individual young musicians (8th-12th grade) who wish to stretch their ringing skills and challenge their musicianship. Participants will spend 2½ days working on intermediate to advanced repertoire and developing skills in handbell technique and general musicianship under the leadership of of an experienced director of youth musicians. The event schedule will combine dedicated rehearsal time for Distinctly Teen with the opportunity to attend classes offered as part of the Handbell Musicians of America National Seminar.
Upcoming Distinctly Teen Events:
- Distinctly Teen 2020 with Barb Walsh conducting and in joint performance with the Pensacola Children’s Chorus – July 18-20, Orlando, Florida
Details will be available in January 2020.
COLLEGE RING-IN is an event for college students and recent alumni. Three days of ringing under the direction of a master conductor culminates in a public concert on the final evening. Participants will be given their own individual ringing assignment to prepare in advance and then join other attendees to rehearse and polish the music for the final concert. The event also includes a reading session of unpublished compositions and arrangements submitted by participants. We’ll have publishers and editors from the handbell industry on hand to provide advice and guidance regarding copyright permissions and the publication process.
Upcoming College Ring-In Events
- The next event will be in Houston, Texas in January 2020 with Stevie Berryman conducting. The event is currently in the planning stages. Details will be added as soon as they are available.
VIRTUAL BELL ACADEMY is a new educational service for all handbell musicians and is available to both members and non-members. Students will have the option to choose from live webinar learning experiences or self-guided multi-week courses, both designed and led by experts in the handbell community.
HANDBELL MUSICIAN CERTIFICATION & ACCREDITATION
The Handbell Musicians of America Certification program is a comprehensive curriculum designed to provide training and experience at all levels to handbell musicians. The study areas are music theory, handbell techniques, conducting, arranging and composing, handbell history (now available online), and electives.
Every other month, we host a one-hour live chat with a personality from within our talented ranks. Everyone will have an opportunity to submit questions in advance. Many of you will be able to tune in live and participate. And, all members will be able to access the video on the Handbell Musicians of America website after it airs live.
BACK TO BELLS
Handbell Musicians of America is offering FREE workshops across the country to help you get your handbells out of the closet and restart your handbell program – or start a brand new program. A handbell program in your church offers numerous benefits for your congregation.