Handbells/Handchimes with Special Populations
This 4 session track will encourage people to consider the use of handbells and handchimes as a viable musical enrichment and performance opportunity for the special needs communities and the aging population.
Experience various teaching methods with 2-3 octaves
- “Instant music making” with simple melodies and chord accompaniment
- Adaptive music notation using color-coded letters which correspond with the handbell scale
- “Directing the handbell keyboard” by using hand cues, pointing, sign language, and Kodaly hand signals
- Teaching the visually impaired through memorization
Determine the best music selection for all methods
- Analyze published music along with custom written arrangements and bell assignments
- Explore hands-on methods in detail as a director and ringer
- Learn to write arrangements for specific groups
Evaluation for this course will be primarily through observation of the students participation and progress in class.